Friday 1 July 2011

Coconut Conversion

I have to start by saying, HAPPY BIRTHDAY CANADA, I love you!! It's raining here this morning Winnipeg, but the day can still brighten up! Being total sucks, my husband and I plan to just hang around the house today, possibly have a visitor or two, and sit out in the yard with some food & bevvies. (I'll post tomorrow if anything interesting happens in the kitchen)

Today I want to share with you my vegan conversion of my mother's famous O'Henry bars. You've seen them pictured in the Wedding Shower post. My sister and I can't resist these treats, hence the needing a vegan update.

One Christmas my mom made my dad a whole box of o'henry bars and peanut butter squares


So here it goes:

1/2 cup coconut oil
1 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup soy milk
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
a few whole graham crackers...about 9

Layer the crackers in the bottom of a greased 8 or 9" pan



Melt the oil in a med sized pot, add the soy milk and sugar, & bring to a boil. Continue boiling for 2-3 mins stirring constantly.



Remove from heat and add the graham crumbs. Mix well then pour over the crackers. Put the pan in the freezer to stiffen while you make up the icing.

Icinig:

4 cups icing sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup soy milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Mix the oil, milk, and vanilla well. Slowly add in the icing sugar, mixing well. I tried to use my fancy cordless hand mixer I got as a gift a few years ago. The darn thing was so heavy it made my wrist hurt more than when using a whisk, and didn't do a better job. Plus the fully charged battery died after 20secs or so. It must have been a dud :( It is with me no more.




Spread the icing over the graham mixture. The longer you leave it in the freezer the easier it will be to spread the icing on. My mom's secret trick is dipping the knife in a cup of hot water. It helps :)


Enjoy in moderation ;)

1 comment:

Destini said...

OMG YOU MADE THEM!! I will make these real soon! Plus George can eat them now :) Sucks about ur mixer, though I don't like using mine for whisking, I just use the chopping. But I do love my kitchen gadgets.