Monday 15 August 2011

Breakfast Bread & Cheese Casserole

This morning I made with yummy gooey casserole from Sarah Krammer's La Dolce Vegan! She calls it Wolfie's BLT Brunch Casserole, but I left out the B (imitation bacon bits). The "cheese" sauce alone is worth a try. Take a look.


Casserole:
4 slices bread, toasted
1/4 cup vegan mayo
1 lb (454g pkg) medium or firm tofu, crumbled
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp vegan marg or oil of choice



Layers:
1/3 cup imitation "bacon" bits (I didn't have any, and I'm not a huge fan so I left these out)
1 large tomato ( I had a bunch of cherry tomatoes on hand, so I used 9 of them. I once asked my dad why he was cutting up a dozen tiny cherry tomatoes for a sandwich when he had a large one. He replied by explaining the difference in flavour between regular large tomatoes and cherry tomatoes from our garden to the water in our purified cooler to the water in the Seine River out back. I now understand. LOL)
3-4 green onions
2 cups lettuce, chopped


"Cheese" sauce:
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water
2 tsp oil
1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsp soy sauce


Preheat over to 325F. Lightly oil an 8x8 baking dish. Spread the vegan mayo on one side of each slice of toast and chop into 1 inch pieces. Place toast cubes in the baking dish mayo side up.



In a large frying pan, scramble the tofu, tumeric, onion powder, salt and pepper in the margarine or oil for about 5-7 mins. The recipe said until the tofu browns...but mine didn't brown... that may have been the barely pressed medium firm tofu I used *shrugs* Set aside.





 



In a small saucepan, whisk all "cheese" sauce ingredients together and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 2-4 mins, stirring constantly.




To arrange the casserole: Pour half the "Cheese" sauce over the bread cubes. Layer with half the "bacon" bits if using. Add all the tofu mixture. Next layer the tomato slices, remaining cheese sauce, remaining "bacon" bits, and green onions. Bake uncovered for 15 mins. Serve over chopped lettuce.












Makes about 4 servings. I ate a bit more for a late lunch and it was also awesome cold! Thanks to Sarah Krammer :)

PS Does anyone else have issues with the spacing on blogspot? Everything looks normal, then in preview there are a tonne of extra spaces inbetween lines and photos. I've given up fighting with it, grrrrr.

No comments: