Thursday 18 August 2011

Chili Cheez "Fries"

Green & yellow beans are like my blank canvas; just a base to build a masterpiece upon. My mom, my sister, they're happy with a lil margarine and pepper on steamed beans, but not me, I need something more. Well, I've out done myself today. Meet Chili Cheez Beans.


This is a mostly improvised meal so some measurements may be estimated; as always add your own style.

Green, yellow or purple beans (maybe a pound...a big plate worth)


1/2 block firm or extra tofu, pressed and crumbled
2 sprigs green onion, diced
1-2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp chili powder
sprinkling or two or red pepper flakes

"Cheese" sauce:
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water
2 tsp oil
1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsp soy sauce

 Wash and trim off the ends of your beans, steam for 3-5 mins.


While the beans are steaming fry the tofu in a bit of oil with the onion powder, chili powder, red pepper flakes, Dijon, & soy sauce for about 5 mins, adding the green onion near the end. Set aside





You may recognize this sauce from my last post Breakfast Bread & Cheese Casserole. Whisk all "cheese" sauce ingredients together in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 2-3 mins, stirring constantly.

Place your steamed beans on a big plate, top with the tofu mixture (chili) & pour on desired amount of cheez sauce. I also added a sprinkling on Daiya Mozza Shreds and a sprinkling of more red pepper flakes.


The most decadent plate of beans ever!!



No comments: