Tuesday 2 August 2011

Community Supported Agricuture

Several months ago my sister and I bought into a Community Supported Agriculture program. If you haven't heard of this before, here's the gist. Before the growing season begins you pay a lump sum to a local farm, and then each week of the growing season they give you a basket of produce. It's pretty awesome!! The particular farm we are a part of is Stonelane Orchard and it's totally organic. We've just had 2 baskets so far, but it's been fun designing a meal around one feature ingredient from the week's haul.

This was my half the first week's batch of veggies
Yellow zucchini, cucumber, peas, beans, green pepper, beets, potatoes, green onion, tomatoes, kale, swiss chard and parsley
I started with some roasted potatoes & beets, with garlic, olive oil, oregano and rosemary
 
Baked em at 375 for about 30-40 mins


 My feature for the night was the kale. I got this great recipe from LaDolce Vegan for brussel sprouts. I may have mentioned before that I have no self control when it comes to brussel sprouts. I eat too many and then my stomach hurts. I tried to eat less of them, but I can't, they're just too damn good. SO... I thought I'd try my favourite brussel sprout recipe on the kale. 

1 large bunch of kale
2-3 sprigs of green onions
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp vegan margarine

Start by steaming the kale for about 3-5 mins. While that's going heat a frying pan on med/high and toast the mustard seeds until they start to pop. Lower the heat to medium and add the margarine and green onion. Saute for 2 mins then add the dijon. When the kale is ready add it to the pan and saute a couple mins more.

 



A whole plate of farm fresh organic veggies, best meal ever!!

No comments: