Tuesday 7 June 2011

Easy Soup, not so easy workout

Today when I got home I really wasn't feeling very hungry. My stomach had been hurting off and on, mixed with some bouts of heart burn. So making the tacos I was planning, didn't feel right anymore. I just wanted plain old soup broth. Without really looking I started to pull items out of the vegetable crisper, and this is what happened.

Follow Your Gut Soup

A generous handful of baby carrots or 2 reg ones, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
5 or 6 mushrooms, diced
1/4 of a large daikon, sliced into rounds & quartered
1 cup chopped spinach
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
the white ends of a few sprigs of green onion, chopped
oil of your choice
various spices of your choice
crush tomato
vegetable soup broth

Now I was pretty much just winging it here and I suggest you do the same. Just see where the soup takes you.




 Starting with the garlic and green onion, I sauteed them in a big soup pot with the oil for a couple of minutes on med high heat. Then I added in my spices. I choose cumin, coriander, turmeric, & ginger. Those are my go to spices and I just threw in a dash here and there. After a couple of mins I added in all the veggies, except for the spinach which I added about 5 minutes later.




Once the veggies were cooked but not too soft, I added in some soup broth and crush tomatoes by eye. Does it look like soup yet....? YA then that's enough


On the right is the oil I used. My Aunt just bought it for me and this is the first time I've used it for anything. I'm quite excited, I hear such great things about coconut oil. My Aunt tells me this is the best brand, and don't cheap out on it, you'll taste it.


I turned the heat down to minimum and decided to let the soup stew and lock in its flavours while I got in a quick workout. I've been practicing yoga for years, and you'll never catch me in one of those "hot" yoga classes (I have no desire to put myself through that kind of heat, I get light headed as it is) But my new yoga obsession is Jillian's Yoga Meltdown.


The DVD which I bought on impulse on Amazon includes 2 30 minute workouts that work your entire body. She uses the  great strengthening yoga poses that I love, but makes it more aerobic my making you go in and out of them repeatedly. I feel like such a yoga warrior when I'm done!


Since I didn't feel like any beans today, I sprinkled a generous spoonful of ground flax into my bowl to kick up the fibre content. Hope you enjoyed my lazy soup and remember to listen to what your body needs :)

No comments: