Monday 11 April 2011

Flax pancakes with strawberry soft serve

Yesterday I made brunch for my husband and myself. I call it brunch because we slept in till almost 10:30. This being my first recipe blog I should warn you I am no master chef, but I do what I can. Also the photos (for now) are not the greatest because my camera is a little lame. As my family likes to remind me, I lose cameras...alot...so am not aloud to have a nice one.

Here's my version of flax pancakes. (modified from eHow by Danita Fausek) Don't be intimidated (or turned off). My husband hates things "whole wheaty" and is very skeptical of flax in general, and he loved em!

1 cup flour (I used all purpose because it was what I had on hand, but feel free to experiment with a mix of white and whole wheat)
2/3 cups ground flax seed
3 tbsp raw sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon (my new must have in baking...it just makes everything smell so delectable)
a dash of nutmeg
1 big banana, mashed
1 1/4 cups soy milk (or non-dairy milk of your choice)
1 tbsp olive oil

Preheat a non-greased pan or griddle to low-medium heat. ( I use in between the #3 &  #4 on my stove) Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix all wet ingredients in another bowl, then mix both bowls together. Pour your desired amount of batter onto the pan. I'm terrible at flipping pancakes (you'll see in the photos) so I try to make them somewhat smaller. When you see the bubbles coming through, FLIP.  After that its a judgement call, just keep a close eye on them.

Strawberry soft serve:

This I got from Oh She Glows. It's very simple, but I messed it up a bit.

3 strawberries
1 frozen banana

In a food processor blend the banana until it starts to look frothy (about 5mins), then add in the strawberries and blend well.

Where I went wrong was not blending the banana first and not blending it long enough. I just threw it all in the food processor until it was liquidy...not the intended effect. So let me know how you do with it, because I haven't made a second attempt since I actually read the directions properly :)

 See told you I can't flip em!

Not frothy....runny...
 So maybe not the best execution...but doesn't it look yummy anyways?

As to not hurt my tummy with fruit in the AM (on an empty stomach? ahhhhhhh) I only used about 1/2 the strawberry soft serve, and limited myself to only 2 pancakes. Chewing long and slow, making sure to have the fruit WITH the pancakes, it all worked out. No pain! Whooo. A yummy, healthy, satisfying breakfast and no symptoms! Wicked :)

No comments: