Tuesday 19 April 2011

That's right turkey, it's tofu jerky!

OK I apologize for the title, but c'mon rhymes are fun, right? LOL

This Thursday I will be jetting off to the bustling metropolis of London (Ontario) to see my good friend (and fellow vegan IBSer) Lynn. I am very excited, but leaving the home routine can bring up some food anxieties. So when I'm heading out on a trip I always pack tonnes of snacks and try to do some meal planning. OK so I've never actually done the meal planning part, but as a part of my new track, I plan to this time. Having a plan in place and lots of healthy safe snacks takes an enormous amount of pressure off, so you can enjoy your adventure. Traveling with someone who understands your issues is a big bonus.

Here's one of my favourite travel snacks. It's a great source of protein to keep you fueled between stops. I always have to make up extra so my husband has some to snack on while I'm away. He loves this shit!

TOFU JERKY

As I eluded to before this recipe is straight out of Vegan A Go-Go by Sarah Kramer

1 pkg extra firm tofu
3-4 tbsp liquid smoke
1/2 cup soy sauce (she uses tamari which I have yet to find)
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder or 1 clove minced garlic
1/2 - 1 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp sugar (raw is my fav)

Slice the tofu into 1/4 inch (or slightly thinner) strips lengthwise. Mix all other ingredients together in a small bowl. Lay the tofu out flat in a big casserole dish or baking tray with a lip. Pour the mixture over top coating well. Soak overnight (at least 8 hours). Preheat the oven to 150 (cause that will take long...hehe). Cook the tofu 6 to 8 hours, flipping every hour. I prefer it after 8 hours, nice and chewy then. Obviously this is a snack that needs some pre-planning and nearly a full day at home, but it's worth it!!



  It may look like burnt cardboard, but just trust me.

1 comment:

Destini said...

Look what I found!!!!!!!! I was setting up an order because the prices are amazing and shipping seems too good to be true. And I found this, a whole section for IBS products.
http://www.iherb.com/IBS-Formulas

Hope ur trip is great!