Sunday 17 April 2011

Vegan a go-go

Yesterday was my best friend Destini's wedding social. If you are not from Manitoba, this is pretty much a manditory part of getting married here. You rent a hall and throw a big party with silent auction, booze, 50/50, charge $10 a head and make money for your wedding. They are alot of work, but can be very fun. Being the maid of honour, I had many responsibilities that day, so I decided to write about how to eat well, and take care of your IBS when you are on the go!

Naturally it starts with a good healthy breakfast, but first look at this wonderful mid April in Winnipeg surprise we woke up to!

I <3 Winnipeg LOL!!
Tofu Scramble:

This can be made an infinite number of ways. This is s very basic version, but feel free to experiment with different spices and veggies. Anything goes!

I put the tumeric in this version because it is good for the IBS gut and the ginger is great for nausea and I had a bit of a candy hangover that morning (damn movies and Mike 'n' Ikes). This makes for 1 large serving but go ahead and double everything for sharing or leftovers (SO good the next day!)

1/2 block firm or extra firm tofu, pressed & crumbled
1/2 a large tomatoe, diced
1-2 green onions, sliced
1 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 clove of garlic, minced (I think this is the least amount of garlic I have ever used in a recipe, but I'm trying to cut back a little, it can be hard for the IBS tummy to digest)
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp ginger
oil for frying (1 tbsp approx)
black pepper to taste
Daiya shredded cheddar "cheese" for topping (optional)

In a medium sized bowl mix the crumbled tofu, mustard, soy sauce and spices together. Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium heat (non stick is better). Brown the garlic, then throw in the tofu mixture and cook for approximately 5 mins. Add the tomato and green onion and cook for another 3-5mins. Add pepper to taste and top with the Daiya cheese.

 The garlic is not pictured because I decided on it at the last second
 & I only used one of those soy sauce packets

 Not a non-stick pan, I hate it

I had a piece of flax toast with soynut butter for extra fibre and protein!

Next I needed to pack some snacks for the day. These would be my lunch and dinner, so there needed to be a good balance of the food groups and easy to eat on the go. I may have packed too much, but it came in handy when one of the other bridesmaids (a fellow vegan) was feeling a little light headed.

Ryvita rye & oat bran crackers (fibre, fibre, fibre!)
Pumpkin seed butter for the crackers (this I knew I would be having at Destini's house so I didn't pack a knife, but if you are I suggest a ziploc bag to put it in afterwards)
2 x applesauce & mixed fruit packs (with a spoon of course)
Digestive cookies (Its important to read the ingredients when purchasing these because some have BEEF FAT (ick) or dried whole egg, look for a less expensive no name brand.)
Leftover baked cinnamon sweet potatoe & chickpeas; easy because they don't necessarily need to be refrigerated all day or reheated
2 Benefibre on the go sticks (for mixing into my water bottle)
1 ginger tea bag (emergency nausea meds)
1 peppermint tea bag (emergency tummy pain meds)

I packed all this in a reusable grocery bag with my water bottle

 PRIZES!!

 Family pre-gamin' it

Destini and I :)

Finally, at 2am at home my husband and I needed a lil snack to absorb some of the alcohol before bed. Air popped popcorn is my fav go to snack since childhood. I know it's not the heathiest, but it never bothers my tummy no matter how sensitive it is feeling, and with just a bit vegan margarine & fine sea salt, it's a great treat!

 I love that Becel came out with a vegan marg. because my neighbourhood is lacking in good health food and organic groceries & my lame Safeway carries this

 A great end to a busy day
Congratulations Destini & George! <3

PS. The title of this blog is the name of a great vegan travel cook book by Sarah Kramer. It's filled with great tips for vegans on the road. Hint: an upcoming blog may have a recipe from it ;)







No comments: