Monday 30 May 2011

I baked bread B@$%#%^!

Ok, I am no baker. The list of things I can bake is pretty short, and consists mostly of muffins. As of this past week, I have now added bread to that list! Gluten-Free Vegan bread!! But first things first. I have just discovered the wonders of my local bulk foods store, Scoop'n'Save. I'm always whining about the lack of good health food stores in my area, meanwhile this one as been under my nose all along. Check out my recent purchases.


Along with a great selection of bulk foods, they have tonnes of specialty & gluten-free foods.

 This was actually from Safeway, but it's the best honey I've ever tasted

Obviously this has nothing to do with baking, but this tree is in front of our house, on the boulevard

It's super pretty this week, but these blooms don't last long, hence the need for a picture :)

Alright, back to the bread. I got this recipe from my dietitian. She copied it out of a gluten-free cookbook, and showed me how to modify it to make it vegan and without a bread machine. 

Gluten-Free Flour Mix (used for all sorts of GF baking)

2 cups white or brown rice flour or any combination of
2/3 cup potato starch
5 1/2 tbsp tapioca starch
mix well, store in the refrigerator, and let warm up to room temp before using

Vegan Gluten-Free Bread

6 tbps ground flax + 4 tbsp warm water mixed well (or the equvilant of 2 egg replacers)
1 3/4 cups soy milk
1 tsp vinegar
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp veg oil (or almost any oil of your choice)
1 1/2 cups gluten free flour mix (see above)
2 cups white or brown rice flour (or any combination)
1 tbsp xanthan gum
2 1/2 tsp dry active yeast

Mix dry ingredients in one bowl and wet in another. Once mixed slowly add the dry to the wet, & mix until doughy. You may need to knead it a bit. Place in a lightly greased loaf pan.

Once kneaded it should be easy to pick up as one big piece, and then form into the pan
Place in the oven with just the light on, and two cups of hot water, and let sit for 1 1/2 hours

After which time it should have raised a bit

Preheat the oven to 350F and bake for 45-55 mins
To avoid an overly crunchy crust, spread a little bit of vegan margarine on top and let cool
Seriously I baked bread! So proud
I only baked it for 45 and it was pretty moist & dense, next time I may leave it in a few minutes longer
I sliced and froze 1/2 the loaf to keep it fresh and not waste any
The fresh half was gone in about two days
Yum yum!


No comments: