Wednesday 25 May 2011

the long weekend

This weekend my very good friend Brooke flew in from Edmonton for a fun girls long weekend. We went for very relaxing facials & cocktails Saturday afternoon…

 My new vintage hat Brooke brought for me :)

 Brookie-Doll in my favourite (non-vintage, but sort of looks like it) hat

...followed by a light pre-dancing dinner at home…

 Baby bok choy, daikon, carrots, orange pepper, & leeks stir-fried in a tiny bit of sesame oil

with brown & wild rice

& sauce from a bottle

Sunday we went to the zoo…

 Big cat!

 Isn't this a great shot by Brooke?

 I fed this dude popcorn and then he touched my toes! Hehe

 These are simply amazing creatures, amazing

 LOL Does anyone watch Archer?

…and then hosted a bbq. I made the edamame dip served with rice crackers, whole-wheat pitas & seasoned multigrain chips. Guests brought their choice of burgers, and I made some bean & veggie burgers I found on Oh She Glows. I didn't use chia seeds because I've yet to source them. I also switched the spelt flour for brown rice flour. For sides we had bbq corn on the cob & asparagus.


  
I pre-baked these for 15mins, then bbq'd them for another 10

  
Kmo & I preparing the corn

A lil Manitoban brew for the Albertan

Our grill master (& my hubby) Morgan on the far right


The crew on my front steps:)
 
 
Monday morning Brooke and I had a fancy brunch with vegan french toast and mimosas!
 

French Toast :
1 1/2 cup rice milk or soy milk
4 tbsp tahini (or any seed butter)
3 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
4 tbsp flour
dash nutmeg
bread (this recipe makes enough for 6-8 slices)
oil or margarine for frying

Whisk all ingredients together (add the flour last and slowly)
Spray a little oil on a non stick pan and heat to about medium
Coat one piece of bread at a time and fry on each side until golden and crispy
Top with fruit and syrup, yum yum!

 

Mimosas:
2oz champagne
2oz orange juice 
pour into a champagne flute and gently mix
Or make a big pitcher (equal parts juice and champagne) with ice

All & all a great weekend!
Thanks for the visit B

 
Ps Sorry this took so long to get up...had some technical difficulties :(



2 comments:

Destini said...

OMG all that looks soo good! I wish I could have come over! But glad you guys had such a great time :)

KMo said...

I look as though the corn just told me a juicy secret!