Sunday 15 May 2011

Is My Tummy Just Sad?

I'm sure most of you IBS sufferers out there have come up against the debate over the psychological aspect of our disorder. How much of it is in our heads? OR the better question does treating IBS as a psychological disorder work? A few years ago I participated in group sessions aimed at taking the psychological approach to controlling symptoms. It had it's benefits, mostly the relaxation training (who doesn't need that?). Mostly, I walked away with a new point of view.

Recently, I have been seeing a new GI, whom I like much more than my last one (A-HOLE). After putting me through a just a couple of non-evasive tests (ultrasound, blood & urine) he's decided the IBS diagnosis is still the best one. Since I promised myself I would not be "combative" with my GI in this new round, I agreed to try a new medication. Most of you wouldn't know my disdain for meds (I rarely take anything but water for a headache, and ginger tea cures all!). The medication is called amytriptyline, a tricyclic antidepressant (TCA). He explained to me that a low dose has shown results in reducing pain, and improving mobility in the gut. I'll explain the low dose part. A typical depressed patient would be taking anywhere from 75mg to 150mg. He has started me at 10mg. When I got home from my appointment I did a little research. There are certainly some benefits, as well as some possible negative side affects. I've committed to trying it for one month. We shall see how it turns out. For useful info on all sorts of IBS topics check out this site.

Now for a new recipe!!! Tonight my sister in law was hosting a belated mother's day dinner. In seven+ years I have never brought a dish to dinner with my husband's family. I'm not sure why. Probably because my wonderful mother in law is so great at accommodating my special needs. Anyways, it was going to be lots of BBQ items so I brought this delicious quinoa dish I adapted from my favourite blog Oh She Glows. I'm happy to report it was a hit!


1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 tablespoon +1 tsp olive oil, divided
1 cup chopped leek, white to white-ish parts (I've been using leeks alot for a gentler substitute for white onion)
1 cup diced carrot
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cups diced apple, not peeled (one large apple)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup dry roasted pumpkin and/or sunflower seeds
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 tbsp pure maple syrup
black pepper, to taste

Saute the garlic, leeks, and carrots in 1 tbsp of olive oil for about 5mins. Add the broth, quinoa, salt & cinnamon and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer covered for 20mins (or until all the liquid is gone) stirring occasionally.





 I finally got to use my fancy new egg timer, isn't it cute?

Fluff it all up!

While the quinoa is cooking if your seeds are not yet roasted, do so now. In a small frying pan, heat the remaining 1 tsp of olive oil over medium heat. Toss in the apples and vanilla and cook for 5 mins. 

This smells ridiculously good!! I wanted to eat them right out of the pan.

When the quinoa is done add the cranberries, apples, seeds, maple syrup and pepper to taste, mix well.

And there you have it! A delicious side or main dish with a great source of protein.



No comments: