Tuesday 31 May 2011

My Favourite Recipe

A few years ago Morgan signed us up for a cooking class with the city for my birthday. It was called An Evening With Chickpeas, and it was great! We learned about 5 recipes, and I use them all the time. My amazing hummus recipe... not really mine, it was from Rani our instructor. This spicy spinach chickpea dish is my favourite! I've adapted it a little bit, and it has become my go to dish for a potluck party. Then I was making it a couple days ago and couldn't believe I hadn't shared it with you yet!

As I've mentioned before, I love a cooking snack. I cubed a couple pieces of my gluten free bread, and mixed a bit of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, & oregano for dipping.

I wish I had a lighter coloured plate so you could see the oil & vinegar

This wine is my father in law's home brew. We got 12 bottles this past christmas, and that right there represents the second to last bottle :( 

1 can of chickpeas, drained & rinsed
1 pkg frozen spinach, defrosted & squeezed
1 med onion, chopped (I know I've been trying to cut down on the onion, but it's just so integral here)
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 a big can of crushed tomatoes (798 ml can, I usually eyeball this part, it was originally 1/4 cup, but it works out to just over 1 1/2 cups
1 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander, salt & garam masla*
1/4 tsp cayenne & tumeric


*You can find this in the import section of your grocery store OR make it yourself with a grinder.

3 tbsp coriander seeds
1 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
1/2 tbsp whole black peppercorns 
1 whole black cardamom seeds or 4 green cardamom seeds
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (1 inch stick)
1/4 tsp dried ginger powder

Warm all ingredients except ginger & cinnamon in microwave for about 30 seconds. Put all ingredients into a grinder & grind to a fine powder. Store in an airtight container. I'm not gunna lie... I use the store bought stuff

1. Heat a little bit of oil in a big pan over medium high heat and saute the onions, garlic and cumin until the onions are golden

 
2. Add the ginger, coriander, cayenne, tumeric, & salt, continue sauteing for about 2 mins, then add the crushed tomatoes and cook for 2 more mins


3. Add the spinach, cook 5 mins


4. Add the chickpeas, cook 7 more mins. Turn down to minimum and simmer for a few minutes to lock in the flavour.




I usually eat this on its own, or with some naan bread or pitas. The original recipe, with way less crush tomato, was meant to be served in a wrap with lettuce and tomato. Hope you enjoy my favourite dish!

No comments: